VISIT, TASTE AND WALK INTO THE LOIRE VALLEY VINEYARD
Saturday August 31 and Sunday September 1, 2019 Get cultured with VVR! The 16th VVR – the Loire Valley’s must-attend wine tourism event – includes 17 walks through the vineyardsand a programme with a new line-up of features this year. Not only do wine enthusiasts get a chance to join passionate winegrowers on the walks, they can also slake their thirst for knowledge with tasting classes at the Ecole des Vignes or by taking part in geo-sensory tastings to get a better grasp of the connection between the terroir and wines. Walkers looking for a party atmosphere can celebrate the grape harvest with the colourful “Holi Walks”. This year’s VVR is a fusion of discoveries and new vineyard experiences, so that you can get cultured!
AN EXPERIENCE IN THE HEART OF THE VINEYARDS
Every year, Loire Valley wine growers offer visitors 3 hours of down time, a relaxed, fun atmosphere and flavourful thrills during the VVR, with scenery listed as Unesco World Heritage in the backdrop. The 17 walks available are punctuated by tastings, food and wine pairings and an introduction to vineyard sites and winegrowing expertise. The kit for the perfect rambler is also handed out to participants so that everyone has all the tools on hand to enjoy local flavours and discover the rich Loire heritage. At the end of the walk, a festive, foodie and musical atmosphere awaits ramblers at the VVR village where they will be able to buy the wines tasted at cellar door prices.
- Classic walks over 6 to 8.5 km, and family routes of around 4 km.
- Information and registration : vvr-valdeloire.fr
- Rates for online pre-registrations before August 31: €7, €2 for under 18s (Full rates on the day, subject to availability: €10, €3 for under 18s)
NEW FOR 2019 !
+ festive Holi Walks, inspired by Indian culture, will celebrate the arrival of the grape harvest. For each final departure, one walk is set aside for the more party-loving ramblers when coloured powders are thrown.
+ studious At the VVR villages, wine enthusiasts with a thirst for knowledge can attend hour-long outdoor tasting classes at the Ecole des Vignes curated by professional sommeliers. + terroir Geo-sensory tastings, supervised by students from ESTHUA for 6 of the walks, offer key insight for gaining a better understanding of the connection between terroir and wine.
+ fun A new activities booklet lets the youngest participants learn and have fun along the entire walk.
3 new appellations join VVR
17 walks are organised this year with 3 new appellations joining the event:
- Saumur-puy-notre-dame : a young appellation, established in 2008, which imparts its character to the wine region of Saumur. Its hallmark vineyard sites are conducive to growing Cabernet Franc displaying a delicate, chiselled and profound silhouette with lots of finesse.
- Touraine-chenonceaux : recognised in November 2011, the Touraine- Chenonceaux appellation stems from a selection of the finest vineyard sites in Touraine. These rare wines offer up elegance and nobility.
- Coteaux-du-vendômois : Coteaux du Vendômois is located in the area where the Loir wends its way through the countryside, and where the climate is conducive to winegrowing. The Chenin and Pinot d’Aunis grape varieties impart the wines with their unique typicity.
And once again…Coteaux-d’ancenis, Muscadet-sèvre-et-maine, Anjou-villages-brissac et Coteaux-de-l’aubance, Bonnezeaux, Savennières, Saumur-champigny, Saumur fines bulles, Chinon, Saint-nicolas-de-bourgueil, Vouvray, Touraine-mesland, Jasnières et Coteaux-du-loir, Haut Poitou Val de Loire.
THE WALKS IN 2019
Saturday 31 August – 9 walks
- Coteaux-d’ancenis : departures from Ancenis (44)
- Savennières : departures from Savennières (49)
- Saumur-champigny : departures from Dampierre-sur-Loire (49)
- Saumur fines bulles : departures from Montreuil-Bellay (49)
- Chinon : departures from Panzoult (37)
- Saint-nicolas-de-bourgueil : departures from Saint-Nicolas-de-Bourgueil (37)
- Touraine-mesland : departures from Onzain (41)
- Jasnières et Coteaux-du-loir : departures from Lhomme (72)
- Haut Poitou Val de Loire : departures from Mirebeau (86)
Sunday 1 September – 8 walks
- Saumur-puy-notre-dame : departures from Le Puy-Notre-Dame (49)
- Touraine-chenonceaux : departures from Noyers-sur-Cher (41)
- Coteaux-du-vendomois : departures from Thoré-la-Rochette (41)
- Muscadet-sèvre-et-maine : departures from Clisson (44)
- Anjou-villages-brissac et Coteaux-de-l’aubance : departures from Denée (49)
- Bonnezeaux : departures from Thouarcé (49)
- Vouvray : departures from Parçay-Meslay (37)
- Chinon : departures from Panzoult (37)